Tuesday 28 April 2015

Plantar Fasciitis

Okay, so you've heard me mention my dodgy foot (the left one to be exact) which is currently causing me some discomfort, well what it actually is
PLANTAR FASCIITIS
and 2 clients came to me with it last week too, so for any other sufferers out there at the minute, here's what it actually is.
An intense pain is felt in the heel, whenever weight is placed upon it.  The pain is usally worse in the morning or after a period of inactivity.  Walking, for short periods helps alleviate the pain, but continued walking can increase it again.
The pain is caused by a thickening and damaging of the plantar fascia, a tough, flexible band of tissue that runs under the sole of the foot and connects the heel to the other bones of the foot.  Sudden damage or long term damage that builds up,  causes the thickening which can then lead to microtears in the tissue resulting in pain.
People who are overweight become more inclined to develop the condition.  Other less common causes include;a stress fracture in the ankle (which I think is my cause following a fall at the gym before Xmas and me thinking my ankle was broken, and the ankle is still not "right" now), bursitis (inflammation of 1 or more bursa. Bursa a small fluid filled sacs that are located over joints and in between tendons and bones).
So how is it treated?  A combination of stretches to the foot and calf, and painkillers.  Rest is the best way to improve the condition, but as someone who has a busy schedule (gym, dog walks etc, for me this a nigh impossibility). Placing an ice pack onto the area to alleviate pain is recommended, rolling the area with a golf or tennis ball to break down the thickening can work too.  Treat both feet to improve stability.


In severe cases, surgery is required to release the fascia. (frighten myself why don't I)
So I'm on it now with extra stretches and massaging the area, I'll keep you informed how I get on.


No comments:

Post a Comment