Tuesday 26 May 2015

Vitamin K

VITAMIN K

Tell me something about Vitamin K.  We've all heard of it I'm sure but do you actually know anything about it, what it does, what foods it can be found in?  Ask anyone about about Vitamin A,B,C, D etc and you're likely to get some feedback about them but Vitamin K, I for one am at a loss.  So on your behalf (and mine) I've done a bit of googling and this is what I've come up with.

Vit K is a fat soluble vitamin that plays an important role in blood clotting and along with Vit D, in building strong bones, maintaining a healthy heart and is essential for all other body processes.  Many of us are deficient in the vitamin, much like Vit D too.  We may have sufficient to allow clotting of the blood if we cut ourselves, but evidence suggests that above that, we all fall short when it comes to maintaining a healthy state of being.  A deficiency of VIt K can lead to varicose veins (damn, is that why I've got one on my left calf?), osteoporosis, some forms of cancer, certain kinds of dementia, and tooth decay.

There are 3 types of Vit K
  1. K1 is found natually in plants, especially green veg.  K1 goes straight to the liver and is important for the blood clotting process.
  2. K2 is made from bacteria that live in the intestinal tract.  It goes straight to our blood vessels and bones.
  3. K3 is a synthetic form that many scientists frown upon as it has been linked to toxicity when injected.
It appears K2 is the most important type and the best one to go for if looking for a Vit K supplement.  It prevents hardening of the arteries.  It also helps prevent osteoporosis as it acts as a "glue", enabling calcium and other minerals to bond themselves onto bone tissue.  In order for the vitamin to be absorbed by the body, you must have some fat to accompany the K2 rich food your are eating or supplement you are taking.

So the vitamin is found in green leafy veg, fermented foods contain high amounts, raw butter, meat from grass fed animals.
People who should look at introducing Vit K into their diet by some means include;
  • Eating a poor or restricted diet
  • Suffering from Crohn's disease and other digestive/intestinal complaints
  • Taking antibiotics longterm, cholesterol drugs or aspirin
So there you have it.  I hope you found something interesting to take from this, I know I have got a few cogs creaking in my brain over a few health issues of my own.  Let me know your thoughts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment