Monday 20 May 2013

I've got an irritable bowel

No, this isn't a euphemism for anything smutty for those who know me, but now a diagnosed condition.

I have been saying for years that I thought I may have something similar but never bothered to have it properly diagnosed.  I have spent the last 8 or 9 years struggling with periods of being virtually a slave to the loo.  At first these episodes were few & far between, and I put them down to, if I was overseas, to the stress of travelling, change of water, diet etc.  Never was I more grateful to see the toilet in my hotel room when a bout of tummy truble made itself known on the NYC subway.  Thankfully I was just one stop away so did not have long to wait or far to run when I got off.

I have been in denial for so long.  I'd fob it off as having a bit too much extra spice in a curry, the food must've been close to its sell by date that sort of thing.  Now that I have not been able to afford to go overseas for some years now, that excuse carried no weight any longer.  

I am not sure what came first; the stress of doing things that resulted in an episode, or an episode that was recurring that would cause me stress & anxiety if I had to go out, but either way, this has been gradually spiralling out of control to the point that I fear having to go out just in case, fear of visiting friends and relatives in case it starts, fear of a car journey, long or short, that may leave me high & dry, miles away from any convenience.  Only the other week, I planned to go to the cinema.  I had missed the early showing so resigned myself to going at lunch time.  Over the course of the morning I slowly wound myself up by telling myself it would be busier, noisier & less enjoyable.  The walk to the cinema is about 20 minutes from my house.  Several minutes in, I had an inclination something bowel wise might happen.  A few feet further down the road and I get the familiar feeling of a huge amount of fluid flooding through my body.  At this point I know I have only 2-5 minutes to get to a loo before all hell breaks loose.  (On a side note I must say that this has happened many times whilst I have been in a class at the gym and I have had to bolt out the studio like Linford Christie.  I can now reveal that this is what has been happening, not that I am a total wuss who has gone outside to catch his breath :))

So there I am, in the middle of nowhere, knowing my guts are literally going to drop! Could I make it to the pub on the horizon? Doubtful, the idea of holding on until I got to the shopping centre was quickly dismissed.  So once again, as has been so often the case of late, I did my olympic sprint back home, just managing to get into the house before the ultimate release occurred.  Dog walks are timetabled around my bowel as they happen 3-4 times a day at pretty set times.  

Another excuse I used was that it was all linked to my hernia that I eventually got sorted this year(see separate blog post).  Well, with that out of the way, and no change in my condition, in fact it has gotten worse, what was a boy to do.  Admit defeat, swallow my embarrassment and go get it sorted.  The fact that I have changed to a much better practice helped in my decision making.  I dreaded having to go see my former gp, who was totally unsympathetic, unhelpful, disinterested in anything you had to say or presented her with.

So I told the doctor or my symptoms and history of the complaint, he examined my abdomen and such, and said that he was 99% sure I had irritable bowel but to rule out anything more serious, blood tests would be done just to be sure, the results of which I will get back this week.

He recommended a website to visit which details all the symptoms, causes, and tips to avoid explosive episodes.  It has been useful.  I had previously tried avoiding certain foods to no avail.  Since my gp visit I have started taking some Buscopan tablets.  At the moment I am starting with one a day;  the episodes are less frequent already though not totally gone.  I may go up to 2 a day and see what happens as well as what the gp will tell me on Friday.

The webiste is patient.co.uk and here is a link to the IBS page, rather have me wittering on about the causes etc, you've probably fell asleep reading this already;

As things move forward, I will update this page with my progress.

24/5/13  Blood results came up negative for anything more sinister so the IBS diagnosis stands.  Been advised to self medicate with Imodium.

No comments:

Post a Comment